Friday 14 January 2011

How to quiet your mind for meditation

Before you start meditating, you need to quiet your mind, to prepare your mind for it. You can't just sit down and enter a state of zen, no matter how long you've been meditating.

One thing to do before anything else is sit down and think what do you really like. I mean do you like music, do you like to read or you like to simply close your eyes and let your mind wander around. Or maybe you like to actually do something physical that doesn't require any brain work.

I love music very much, especially relaxation, meditation music. Enya is one of my favorites, but I am also strongly drawn to Reiki music. So I make sure that I am alone at home, put on the CD with the music of my choice, sit down, make sure that I am in comfortable clothing - no jeans while meditating! -, and start listening to the music.

Try to avoid heavy music with a strong beat because that will excite your mind and keep it busy instead of letting it relax the right way before meditation.

When I am in the mood, I like to light a few scented candles around me and dim the big light. Then I sit down and start to relax. Not to meditate yet, just to relax.

Sometimes it takes a while to stop the chatter in my mind. That's ok. It takes as long as it takes. The mind needs to have its thing told out, so don't try to cut it short. What you can do in this case is simply start slowing down the mind chatter before you even sit down for meditation, while going about ending your other business.
One way to do it is simply listen to others instead of doing all the talking at the dinner table. Just listen and be silent. After a few attempts, you will notice that your brain follows suit. It slows down its constant chatter in your mind. It doesn't stop it, as in normal circumstances it cannot stop it, but it doesn't overwhelm you with everyday worries, thoughts, chit chat and naggings. It listens, just like you.

By starting the meditation the right way, you will gain much more benefits of meditation that if you simply sit down and say to yourself 'now i will meditate'.

0 comments: