Saturday 10 January 2009

Back to meditation - where was I?

I've started meditating again, after a long while. I have several meditation CD's accumulated over the last few years, so I randomly chose one. It turned out to be The Art of meditation by Daniel Goleman. I used his first meditation on the first CD, focusing on the breath technique.

Because I haven't meditated in a while, I feared that I'll have problems getting in the proper state, but I think I succeeded. However there is something that quite puzzles me now in retrospect.

When you focus on your breath, sometimes thoughts are coming in, and the guiding voice on the CD asks that when it happens, just gently turn your mind back on your breath. In my case thought, I didn't have 'thoughts', like 'I have to go make dinner', or 'I'm cold' or whatever other things people usually think about. Instead, what actually was happening with me were voices and faces of people that I don't know. Snippets of conversation, things that people were telling me. As soon as I realised that, I pulled myself out of there and focused back on my breath. After a while, I was in another such 'world'. It's like I was dreaming, but I was not asleep.

So my question now is, where was I, and who were the folks talking to me???

0 comments: