So far I haven't had any luck with binaural beats as meditation, so I decided to change that, since I know there are loads of people out there that successfully use these to get to an altered state.

The Gateway Experience from Hemi Sync is "a life-enhancing program dedicated to the development, exploration and application of expanded states of awareness.", and it is used a lot in producing out of body (OBE) or astral travel experiences. Since I am very much interested in OBE's and I've even had a false start once, but no real OBE yet, I will give it a try.

The first track of the first CD, 'Wave 1 - Discovery - Orientation" lasts for about 30 minutes and it is a very enjoyable way to easy into it. Unlike some other programs where you simply listen and drift away, this program expects you to work as well. Breathing exercises, imagination, opening and closing your eyes at given times, these are all required here. You are put to work.

So how did my very first session go?

Well, I'm not quite sure. Truth is, I am not sure what was I supposed to feel or experience. As a first, it was nothing special. I got in a nice relaxing state, my body got relaxed as well, but my mind was really awake. Much more so than with traditional meditation. Also the exercises didn't let me 'drift away', as opening and closing my eyes based on breath in and out, was a requirement. But maybe that's what is supposed to do. No wonder that this program introduces the 'mind awake, body asleep' notion, that's exactly how I was feeling throughout. No phasing out here.
After finishing the exercise, I also felt fresher, not as sleepy and drowsy as I usually feel after regular meditation. Now if this is a good or not so good sign, I have no idea.

I'll keep on with this program, will use the same track a few more times, until I am familiar with it and then can move on, and will record here my experiences (if any), or lack of. Whatever comes. I'll give it a try.

1 comments:

I am a big believer in meditating and guided meditation. I have been meditating for the last 12 years and Hemi Sync has changed my life to the better. Like you, it is much easier now to disengage from myself and see my thoughts
objectively.

You did a great job in writing this piece. I combined what I learned from your article and what I read about the hemi sync gateway experience
and it has helped me tremendously. I look forward to reading more!